Your Medicare Card
Your card has a Medicare Number that’s unique to you — it’s not your Social Security Number. This helps protect your identity.
The card shows:
- You have Medicare Part A (listed as HOSPITAL), Part B (listed as MEDICAL), or both.
- The date your coverage begins.
Once you’re signed up for Medicare, we’ll mail you your Medicare card in your welcome packet. You can also log into (or create) your secure Medicare account to print your official Medicare card.
Protect your Medicare Number like a credit card
Only give personal information, like your Medicare Number, to health care providers, your insurance companies or health plans (and their licensed agents or brokers), or people you trust that work with Medicare, like your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) .
Medicare will never call you uninvited and ask you to give us personal or private information. Learn more about the limited situations in which Medicare can call you.
Carrying your card
You’ll need the information on your Medicare card to join a Medicare health or drug plan or buy Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap), so keep your Medicare card in a safe place.
If you have Original Medicare :
- Carry your Medicare card with you when you’re away from home.
- Show your Medicare card to your doctor, hospital, or other health care provider when you get services.
- If you have a Medicare drug plan or supplemental coverage, carry that plan card with you too.
- You’ll use your plan’s card to get services, not your Medicare card.
- Keep your Medicare card in a safe place in case you switch plans or go back to Original Medicare later.
How do you get another Medicare card?
My card is lost or damaged — Log into (or create) your secure Medicare account to print or order an official copy of your Medicare card. You can also call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to order a replacement card to be sent in the mail. TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048.
If you get Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits, you can call 1-877-772-5772 to get a replacement card. TTY users can call 1-312-751-4701.
My name changed — Your Medicare card shows the name you have on file with Social Security. Get details from Social Security if you legally changed your name.