Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Second surgical opinions
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers a second opinion in some cases for surgery that isn’t an emergency. Medicare also will help pay for a third opinion if the first and second opinions are different.
All people with Part B are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount. The Part B deductible applies. If the second opinion doesn't agree with the first opinion, you pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for a third opinion.
To find out how much your test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:
- Other insurance you may have
- How much your doctor charges
- Whether your doctor accepts assignment
- The type of facility
- Where you get your test, item, or service
- Get more information on second opinions
- Surgery (estimating costs)
- Find doctors & other health professionals
- Find hospitals
- Find dialysis facilities
- Find nursing homes
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Cosmetic surgery
- Inpatient hospital care
- Long-term care hospitals
- Outpatient hospital services
- Surgical dressing services