may cover a partial hospitalization program if you meet certain requirements and your doctor certifies that you would otherwise need inpatient treatment.
Your costs in Original Medicare
What it is
Partial hospitalization provides a structured program of outpatient psychiatric services as an alternative to inpatient psychiatric care. It’s more intense than care you get in a doctor’s or therapist’s office. You get this treatment during the day, and you don't have to stay overnight. Medicare helps cover partial hospitalization services you get through a hospital outpatient department or community mental health center.
Things to know
As part of your partial hospitalization program, Medicare may cover these:
- Occupational therapy that’s part of your mental health treatment
- Individual patient training and education about your condition
Medicare only covers partial hospitalization if the doctor and the program accept
Medicare doesn't cover:
- Transportation to or from mental health care services
- Support groups that bring people together to talk and socialize (This is different from group psychotherapy, which is covered.)
- Testing or training for job skills that isn't part of your mental health treatment