covers the Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program once in your lifetime, if all of these conditions apply to you:
- Within 12 months of your first session, you have either a:
- Hemoglobin A1c test result between 5.7 and 6.4%
- Fasting plasma glucose of 110-125mg/dL
- 2-hour plasma glucose of 140-199 mg/dL (oral glucose tolerant test)
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or more (BMI of 23 or more if you’re Asian).
- You've never been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes or End-Stage Renal Disease (Esrd) .
- You've never participated in the Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program.
You pay nothing for this program if you're eligible.
The Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program is a proven health behavior change program to help you prevent type 2 diabetes.
The program begins with 6 months of weekly group sessions. In these sessions, you’ll get:
- Help to make realistic, lasting behavior changes around diet and exercise
- Tips on how to get more exercise
- Strategies to control your weight
- A specially trained coach to help keep you motivated
- Support from people with similar goals and challenges
Once you complete the weekly sessions, you’ll get 6 monthly follow-up sessions to help you maintain healthy habits.
If you started the Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program in 2021 or earlier you'll get 12 more monthly sessions, if you meet certain weight loss goals.
To find a supplier, visit Medicare.gov/talk-to-someone, and click on the "Learn about preventing diabetes" card. Then, select your state.