covers these screenings if your doctor determines you’re at risk for diabetes or you’re diagnosed with pre-diabetes. You may be eligible for up to 2 screenings each year. These lab tests are covered if you have any of these risk factors:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- History of abnormal cholesterol and triglyceride levels (dyslipidemia)
- A history of high blood sugar (glucose)
Medicare also covers these screenings if 2 or more of these apply to you:
- You’re age 65 or older.
- You’re overweight.
- You have a family history of diabetes (parents or siblings).
- You have a history of gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy) or delivery of a baby weighing more than 9 pounds.
You pay nothing for these tests if your doctor or other qualified health care provider accepts
Insulin savings through the Part D Senior Savings Model
Starting January 1, 2021, you may be able to get Medicare drug coverage that offers broad access to many types of insulin for no more than $35 for a 30-day supply. You can get this savings on insulin if you join a Medicare drug plan or Medicare Advantage Plan with drug coverage that participates in the insulin savings model. This model lets you choose among drug plans that offer insulin at a predictable and affordable cost.
Find a plan that offers this savings on insulin in your state. You can also filter and compare participating plans to help you find the plan that’s right for you. You can join during Open Enrollment (October 15 – December 7, 2020).