Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers blood glucose (blood sugar) laboratory test screenings (with or without a carbohydrate challenge) if your doctor determines you’re at risk for developing diabetes. You may be eligible for up to 2 screenings each year. Part B covers these screenings if you have any of these risk factors:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- History of abnormal cholesterol and triglyceride levels (dyslipidemia)
- History of high blood sugar
Part B also covers these screenings if 2 or more of these conditions apply to you:
- You’re 65 or older.
- You’re overweight.
- You have a family history of diabetes (parents or siblings).
- You have a history of gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy) or delivery of a baby weighing more than 9 pounds.
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay nothing for these screenings if your doctor or other qualified health care provider accepts assignment .