What is it?
The “Medicare Premium Bill” (CMS-500) is a bill for people who pay Medicare directly for their Part A premium, Part B premium, and/or Part D IRMAA . Most people don't get a bill from Medicare because they get these premiums deducted automatically from their Social Security (or Railroad Retirement Board) benefit.)
Your bill pays for next month's coverage (and future months if you get the bill every 3 months). Your bill lists the dates you're paying for. Example of when you'll get a bill
Your bill may also include premiums for past months if:
- You’re getting your first bill.
- You missed a payment.
- Your premium amount changed.
When should I get it?
Around the 10th of the month.
Who sends it?
What should I do if I get this bill
Pay the total amount of the bill by the due date. We must get your payment by the 25th of the month for it to be on time.
To pay your bill, you can:
- Log into (or create) your secure Medicare account.
- Sign up for Medicare Easy Pay.
- Check if your bank offers an online bill payment service to pay electronically from your savings or checking account.
- Mail your payment by check, money order, credit card, or debit card (using the coupon on your bill)
Download a sample
"Understanding the 'Medicare Premium Bill' Form (CMS-500)"
Publication, product, or other number
Product No. 11659 and 11659-S
Medicare premium bill or Medicare bill