You have the right to learn if you can leave your nursing home to live in your home, an apartment, or another appropriate setting. Keep in mind, talking to someone doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be able to move back to your community. A lot will depend on the care and services you need, and what’s available in your community. Your nursing home staff will ask if you want to talk to someone regularly, since your needs may change over time.
What happens if I ask to speak with someone about returning to the community?
- Your nursing home staff will call a local agency for community living (Local Contact Agency).
- Your Local Contact Agency will call or visit you to learn what services and support you need. Then, they'll look into:
- Your housing options and services to modify your home
- Available services (like help with your medical and personal care)
- Programs that may help pay for these services (like Medicare, Medicaid , or other insurance you may have).
- If the services and support you need are available, you'll decide if you want to start planning to leave your nursing home.
- You can change your mind at any time.