Reporting & resolving nursing home problems

If you have a problem at the nursing home, talk to the staff involved. If the problem isn't resolved, ask to talk with one of these:

  • The supervisor
  • The social worker
  • The director of nursing
  • The administrator
  • Your doctor

The Medicare and/or Medicaid -certified nursing home must have a grievance  procedure for complaints. If your problem isn't resolved, follow the facility's grievance procedure. You may also want to bring the problem to the resident or family council.

A Medicare and / or Medicaid-certified nursing home must post the name, address, and phone number of state groups, like these:

  • State Survey Agency
  • State Licensure Office
  • State Ombudsman Program
  • Protection and Advocacy Network
  • Medicaid Fraud Control Unit

If you feel you need outside help to resolve your problem, call one of these for your area: