Reporting problems in a skilled nursing facility

If you have a problem at the skilled nursing facility (SNF), talk to the staff involved. For example, if you have a problem with your care, talk to the nurse or Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA). If the problem isn't resolved, ask to talk with one of these:

  • The supervisor
  • The social worker
  • The Director of Nursing
  • Your doctor

The facility must have a grievance procedure for complaints. If your problem isn't resolved, follow the facility's grievance procedure. You may also want to bring the problem to the resident or family council.

The SNF must post the name, address, and phone number of state groups, like these:

  • State Survey Agency
  • State Licensure Office
  • State Ombudsman Program
  • Protection and Advocacy Network
  • Medicaid Fraud Control Unit

If you feel you need outside help to resolve your problem, call one of these for your area:

  • Long-Term Care Ombudsman
  • State Survey Agency