If you have Medicare drug coverage, and live in an area that's be declared an emergency or disaster, contact your plan for help:
- Finding another in-network pharmacy nearby. An in-network pharmacy is a pharmacy that agrees to provide members of certain Medicare plans with services and supplies at a discounted price. In some Medicare plans, your prescriptions are only covered if you get them filled at in-network pharmacies.
- Replacing lost or damaged drugs, or replacing a drug you couldn't take with you when you evacuated.
- Getting drugs at an out-of-network pharmacy when you can't reasonably get to an in-network pharmacy.
Using in-network pharmacies
- You'll be able to move most prescriptions from one in-network pharmacy to another, and back to your regular pharmacy when the emergency or disaster ends. If you need help finding the closest in-network pharmacy, contact your Medicare plan.
- You'll need to tell the new pharmacy the name of your regular pharmacy and the drugs you need refilled.
- If you lost your plan membership card and don't know your plan's phone number, call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to get your plan's contact information. TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048.
Using out-of-network pharmacies
- Contact your plan for information about their out-of-network rules.
- When you buy your drugs at an out-of-network pharmacy, you'll probably have to pay full cost for the drugs at the time you fill your prescriptions.
- If you paid full cost for the drugs, save your receipts so you can ask your plan if it'll refund you for your costs (Note: You won't get a refund for the out-of-network cost-sharing amount). Ask your plan how to submit your claim.
Additional (extended-day) supplies
If you think you won't return home for a long time, you may want to get a 60- to 90-day supply of your prescription drugs. Ask your plan if it offers 60- to 90-day supplies and which pharmacies you can use to get them.
For more information on getting prescription drugs during an emergency or disaster, contact your Medicare drug plan.
How can I find contact information for my Medicare drug plan?
Generally, you can find your plan's contact information on your plan membership card. Or, you can search for your plan's contact information.
You can also call us at 1-800-MEDICARE.