Long-term care hospital services
covers the cost of long-term care in a
You pay this for each
- Days 1-60: $1,408 deductible.*
- Days 61-90: $352 coinsurance each day.
- Days 91 and beyond: $704 coinsurance per each “lifetime reserve day” after day 90 for each benefit period (up to 60 days over your lifetime).
- Each day after the lifetime reserve days: All costs.
*You don’t have to pay a deductible for care you get in the LTCH if you were already charged a deductible for care you got in a prior hospitalization within the same benefit period. This is because your benefit period starts on day one of your prior hospital stay, and that stay counts towards your deductible. For example:
- You’re transferred to a LTCH directly from an acute care hospital.
- You’re admitted to a LTCH within 60 days of being discharged from a hospital.
LTCHs specialize in treating patients that are hospitalized for more than 25 days. Patients may include people who've used ventilators for an extended period of time, or experience a severe wound or head injury.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, long-term acute-care hospitals can now accept any acute-care hospital patients.
After being discharged from the LTCH, many people get one of these:
- Care in a skilled nursing facility
- Custodial care in a long-term care facility