Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Hearing & balance exams & hearing aids
How often is it covered?
- Diagnostic hearing and balance exams. They're covered only when your doctor or other health care provider orders them to see if you need medical treatment.
Medicare doesn't cover:
- Hearing exams
- Hearing aids
- Exams for fitting hearing aids
All people with Part B are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
- You pay 100% for exams and hearing aids.
- You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for your doctor's services for covered exams, and the Part B deductible applies.
- In a hospital outpatient setting, you also pay the hospital a copayment.
To find out how much your test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:
- Other insurance you may have
- How much your doctor charges
- Whether your doctor accepts assignment
- The type of facility
- Where you get your test, item, or service
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs. Ask questions so you understand why your doctor is recommending certain services and whether Medicare will pay for them.