Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Emergency department services
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers emergency department services. Generally, these services are covered when you have one of these:
- An injury
- A sudden illness
- An illness that quickly gets much worse
Emergency services may be covered in foreign countries only in rare circumstances.
All people with Part B are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
- You pay a copayment for each emergency department visit and a copayment for each hospital service.
- You also pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for your doctor's services, and the Part B deductible applies.
- If you're admitted to the same hospital for a related condition within 3 days of your emergency department visit, you don't pay the copayment because your visit is considered to be part of your inpatient stay.
To find out how much your test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:
- Other insurance you may have
- How much your doctor charges
- Whether your doctor accepts assignment
- The type of facility
- Where you get your test, item, or service