Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Doctor & other health care provider services
How often is it covered?
- An office setting
- A hospital
- A skilled nursing facility (SNF)
- Your home
- Other settings
A doctor can be one of these:
- A Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- A Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
- In some cases, a dentist, podiatrist, optometrist (eye doctor), or chiropractor
Medicare also covers services provided by other health care providers, like these:
- Physician assistants
- Nurse practitioners
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Clinical social workers
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech language pathologists
- Clinical psychologists
All people with Part B are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount, except for certain preventive services. For these preventive services, you may pay nothing if your doctor or other provider accepts assignment. The Part B deductible applies.
To find out how much your test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:
- Other insurance you may have
- How much your doctor charges
- Whether your doctor accepts assignment
- The type of facility
- Where you get your test, item, or service