Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Alcohol misuse screening & counseling
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers this screening once per year.
Adults with Part B (including pregnant women) can get the screening if these apply:
- You use alcohol.
- You don't meet the medical criteria for alcohol dependency.
You can get 4 brief face-to-face counseling sessions per year if these apply:
- Your primary care doctor determines you're misusing alcohol.
- You're competent and alert during counseling.
The counseling must be provided:
- By a qualified primary care doctor or other primary care practitioner
- In a primary care setting (like a doctor's office)
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay nothing if the qualified primary care doctor or other primary care practitioner accepts assignment.
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs. Ask questions so you understand why your doctor is recommending certain services and whether Medicare will pay for them.