Qualifying Health Coverage Notice & IRS Form 1095-B
What is it?
The Qualifying Health Coverage (QHC) notice lets you know that your Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) coverage is considered to be qualifying health coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
If you have Part A, you can ask Medicare to send you an IRS Form 1095-B. In general, you don't need this form to file your federal taxes.
Want to learn more about Form 1095-B and qualifying health coverage? Get official information from the IRS.
Who sends it?
Medicare. Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to ask for a copy of your IRS Form 1095-B. TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048.
What should I do if I get this notice?
- Keep your Form 1095-B with your other important tax information, like your W-2 form and other tax records.
- You don’t need to:
- Take any immediate action.
- Send this form to the IRS when you file your taxes.
- Send this form back to Medicare.
- If you had health coverage other than Medicare during the past tax year:
- Your other health coverage provider may send you a separate Form 1095-B.
- Contact the health care provider if you have questions about the coverage they provided.
- If you need a replacement IRS Form 1095-B, call 1-800-MEDICARE.
Download a sample
Publication, product, or other number
IRS Form 1095-B
Product No. 11915
Product No. 11952
Qualifying Health Coverage Notice