Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Nutrition therapy services (medical)
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers medical nutrition therapy services and certain related services. A registered dietician or nutrition professional who meets certain requirements can provide these services, which may include nutritional assessment, one-on-one counseling, and therapy services through an interactive telecommunications system.
If you get dialysis in a dialysis facility, Medicare covers medical nutrition therapy as part of your overall dialysis care.
People with Medicare who meet at least one of these conditions:
- Have diabetes
- Have kidney disease
- Have had a kidney transplant in the last 36 months
- Whose doctor or other health care provider refers them for the service
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay nothing for these services if the doctor or other health care professional accepts assignment .
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs. It’s important to ask questions so you understand why your doctor is recommending certain services and whether Medicare will pay for them.
- Find dialysis facilities
- Kidney disease education
- Children and ESRD
- Dialysis information
- Transplant information
- National Diabetes Education Program
- National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse
- National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP)
- National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Education and Information Clearinghouse
- CDC information on diabetes