If you get a "Medicare Premium Bill" (CMS-500) from Medicare, there are 2 ways to pay your premiums online:
- Log into your secure MyMedicare.gov account (or create an account) to pay by credit card or debit card — learn more about how it works
- Use your bank's online bill payment service — a way to pay electronically from your savings or checking account
Paying online is a more secure and faster way to make your payment without sending your personal information in the mail. Ask your bank if it allows customers to pay bills online - not all banks offer this service.
- I get my bill from the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB)
How do I make an online bill payment?
Contact your bank or go to their website to set up this service. Make sure your payment is set up correctly so your bill is paid on time.
Give the bank this information:
- Your 11-character Medicare Number — find it on your Medicare card [JPG] or on your bill. Enter the numbers and letters with NO DASHES, spaces or extra characters. Check carefully since letters can look similar to numbers. (The letters B, I, L, O, S, and Z are not used in Medicare Numbers.)
- Payee name: CMS Medicare Insurance
- Payee address:
You’ll need to tell the bank how much money to take out of your account for your premium. If you set up recurring payments each month, make sure the payment amount is correct. It's up to you to change the payment amount when your premium rate changes. For example, you may need to update the amount in January, when the rates sometimes increase.
What happens once I sign up?
After the bank gets your payment, your bank statement will show a payment made to “CMS Medicare.” You’re responsible for making sure the bank pays the right premium amount at the right time.
What if my payment is returned to my bank?
Check with your bank's website to make sure it has the correct information, and resend your payment.
What if I change bank accounts?
Cancel the online bill payment from your old account, and set it up for the new bank account.
What if I have questions about online bill payment?
Contact your bank.