You can get help from your state paying your Medicare premiums. In some cases, Medicare Savings Programs may also pay
deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments if you meet certain conditions. These conditions are listed below under "How do I apply for Medicare Savings Programs?"
4 kinds of Medicare Savings Programs
If you have income from working, you may qualify for these 4 programs even if your income is higher than the income limits listed below.
If you qualify for the QMB program, SLMB, or QI program, you automatically qualify to get Extra Help paying for Medicare prescription drug coverage.
What items are included in the Medicare Savings Program resource limits?
Countable resources include:
- Money in a checking or savings account
Countable resources don't include:
- Your home
- One car
- Burial plot
- Up to $1,500 for burial expenses if you have put that money aside
- Other household and personal items
How do I apply for Medicare Savings Programs?
If you answer yes to these 3 questions, call your State Medicaid Program to see if you qualify for a Medicare Savings Program in your state:
- Do you have, or are you eligible for, Part A?
- Is your income for 2019 at, or below, the income limits above?
- Do you have limited resources, below the limits above?
It's important to call or fill out an application if you think you could qualify for savings—even if your income or resources are higher than the amounts listed here.