Skip Navigation

Medicare limits on therapy services

Who can give me outpatient therapy services?

You can get outpatient therapy from any of these health care professionals:

  • Physical therapists
  • Speech-language pathologists
  • Occupational therapists

Doctors and other health care professionals (like nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, and physician assistants) may also offer PT, SLP, and OT services.

Where can I get outpatient therapy services?

  • Offices of privately practicing therapists
  • Many medical offices
  • Outpatient hospital departments, including those of critical access hospitals (CAHs)
  • Rehabilitation agencies (sometimes called other rehabilitation facilities (ORFs))
  • Comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facilities (CORFs)
  • Skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) when Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) doesn't apply
  • At home, from certain therapy providers, like privately practicing therapists and certain home health agencies (if you aren’t under a home health plan of care)

How can I find out if my therapy services will go above the therapy cap limits?