Medicare uses information from member satisfaction surveys, plans, and health care providers to give overall performance star ratings to plans. A plan can get a rating between 1 and 5 stars. A 5-star rating is considered excellent. These ratings help you compare plans based on quality and performance. Medicare updates these ratings each fall for the following year. These ratings can change each year.
- You can only switch to a 5-star Medicare Prescription Drug Plan if one is available in your area.
- You can only use this Special Enrollment Period once during the timeframe below.
You can switch to these plans once from December 8–November 30:
- A 5-star Medicare Advantage Plan
- A 5-star Medicare Cost Plan
- A 5-star Medicare Prescription Drug Plan
5-star plans are identified with this special icon: