Some types of Medicare health plans that provide health care coverage aren't Medicare Advantage Plans but are still part of Medicare. Some of these plans provide
coverage, while most others provide only Part B coverage. Some also provide
These plans have some of the same rules as Medicare Advantage Plans. However, each type of plan has special rules and exceptions, so contact any plans you're interested in to get more details.
Medicare Cost Plans
Medicare Cost Plans are a type of Medicare health plan available in certain, limited areas of the country. Here’s what you should know about Medicare Cost Plans:
• In general, you can join even if you only have Part B.
• If you have Part A and Part B and go to a non-network provider, Original Medicare covers the services. You’ll pay the Part A and Part B
• You can join anytime the Medicare Cost Plan is accepting new members.
• You can leave anytime and return to Original Medicare.
• You can get your Medicare drug coverage from either the Medicare Cost Plan (if offered) or you can join a Medicare drug plan. Even if the Medicare Cost Plan offers drug coverage, you can choose to get drug coverage from a separate Medicare drug plan.
You can add or drop Medicare drug coverage only at certain times.
Another type of Medicare Cost Plan only provides coverage for Part B services. These plans never include Part D. Part A services are covered through Original Medicare. These plans are either sponsored by employer or union group health plans or offered by companies that don't provide Part A services.
For more information about Medicare Cost Plans, contact the plans you're interested in.
Demonstrations and pilot programs, (also called “research studies”) are special projects that test improvements in Medicare coverage, payment, and quality of care. They usually operate only for a limited time for a specific group of people and/or are offered only in specific areas. Check with the demonstration or pilot program for more information about how it works. To find out about current Medicare demonstrations and pilot programs, call us at 1-800-MEDICARE.
Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE)
PACE (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly) is a Medicare/Medicaid program that helps people meet health care needs in community.