Medicare health and drug plans can decide not to participate in Medicare for the coming year. In these cases, your coverage under the plan will end after December 31. Your plan will send you a letter explaining your options. If this happens:
- You can choose another plan between October 15–December 7. Your coverage will begin January 1.
- You’ll also have a special right to join another Medicare plan until the last day in February 28.
- If you choose another plan between December 8–December 31, your coverage will begin January 1.
- If you choose another plan in January, coverage begins February 1.
- If you choose another plan in February, coverage begins March 1.
- You may have the right to buy certain Medigap policies within 63 days after your plan coverage ends.