5 tasks for your first year with Medicare
- Fill out an Authorization Form if you want your family or friends to call Medicare on your behalf. Medicare can't give personal health information about you to anyone unless you give permission in writing first. Get this form in Spanish.
- Make a "Welcome to Medicare" Preventive Visit appointment during the first 12 months you have Medicare. This free, one-time comprehensive preventive visit puts you in control of your health and your Medicare from the start.
- Sign up for MyMedicare.gov to access your personal Medicare information 24 hours a day, every day. Through this secure online service, you can:
- Learn what Medicare covers. You’ll get a list of tests, items, and services that are covered no matter where you live. If your test, item, or service isn’t listed, talk to your doctor or other health care provider about why you need it. And, ask if Medicare will cover it.
- Decide if you want to go paperless, and get your next free copy of “Medicare & You” [PDF, 5.91 MB] electronically. Next October, you’ll get an email linking you to “Medicare & You” instead of a paper copy in your mailbox.