Learn about coverage if you live or are traveling outside the United States.
I live outside the U.S., and I qualify for premium-free Part A. What do I need to do?
If you don’t live in the U.S., you can contact the nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy, or U.S. Consulate to enroll.
I live outside the U.S., and I don't have Part B. If I get Part B, will I pay more?
In some cases, you may have to pay a higher premium. It will depend on your situation. Listed below are 3 possible situations:
- Traveling outside the U.S.
- Medigap policies may cover you when you travel outside the U.S.
- Medicare & You: traveling abroad (video)
- CMS Form 1490S "Patient's Request for Medical Payment" [PDF, 52KB]
- State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)