How to tell if your child is eligible
One of these conditions must apply to you:
- You (or your spouse) have earned at least 6 credits within the last 3 years by working and paying Social Security taxes.
- You (or your spouse) are getting, or are eligible for, Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board benefits.
One of these conditions must apply to your child:
- Your child needs regular dialysis because his or her kidneys no longer work.
- Your child has had a kidney transplant.
To enroll your child in Medicare, or to get more information about eligibility, contact Social Security. If you visit your local Social Security office, you might be asked to bring these documents:
- Your child's birth certificate and Social Security card
- Your Social Security card
- CMS Form 2728 ("End-Stage Renal Disease Medical Evidence Report Medicare Entitlement and/or Patient Registration" [PDF, 1.10 MB])
A child is defined as one of these:
Also, he or she must be one of these: