MyMedicare.gov's Blue Button provides you an easy way to download your personal health information to a file. Once you're in your MyMedicare.gov account, you can download the file of your personal data and save the file on your own personal computer. After you have saved it, you can import that same file into other computer-based personal health management tools. The Blue Button is safe, secure, reliable, and easy to use.
How to download & save your health information
- Log into MyMedicare.gov, and look for the Blue Button as you search claims and view your On the Go Report.
- Select the Blue Button to create a downloadable file with your MyMedicare.gov information.
- Select the information you want to download, and select submit.
- Save the file as either a PDF or a TXT file to your computer.
- When using mobile apps to download your Blue Button record, the above steps may be automated.
Why download my health information?
- Gives you control over your health information.
- Makes it easy to share with your doctors, caregivers, or anyone else you choose.
- Once you've used the Blue Button, there are a variety of health applications and services that you can use to analyze your health information. Learn more about these useful tools and how to protect your health information once it's in your hands.
Safeguarding your data
Since you control access to your downloaded health information, it's your responsibility to protect it. Treat your personal and health information just like you would your banking or other confidential information. Here are some important things to remember:
You may want to download your information to a CD, flash drive or a mobile app. Encrypted and password protected flash drives, CDs and mobile apps are recommended.
- If you want to send your information via email, encrypt the message.
- Keep paper copies in a safe and secure place that you can control.
- If you think your information may have been downloaded by someone else, call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).