What to expect during your "Welcome to Medicare" preventive visit
Your doctor will:
- Record and evaluate your medical and family history, current health conditions, and prescriptions.
- Check your blood pressure, vision, weight, and height to get a baseline for your care.
- Make sure you're up-to-date with preventive screenings and services, like cancer screenings and shots.
- Order further tests, depending on your general health and medical history.
After the visit, your doctor will give you a plan or checklist with free screenings and preventive services that you need.
What to bring to your "Welcome to Medicare" preventive visit
- Medical records, including immunization records. Even if your current doctor does the visit, gather as much medical information as you can to make sure nothing is missed.
- Family health history. Try to learn as much as you can about your family's health history before your appointment. The information will help you and your doctor better understand:
- What screenings you need to get
- What to watch for in the future
- Prescription drugs. Bring a list of any prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and supplements that you currently take, how often you take them, and why.