What is it?
All people with Medicare should have received new Medicare cards. These new cards have a new Medicare Number that's unique to each person with Medicare, instead of their Social Security Number.
When should I get it?
You should now have your new Medicare card.
If you haven't received your card, you should:
- Look around the house for any old or unopened mail. Your new Medicare card will come in a plain white envelope from the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Sign in to MyMedicare.gov to get your number or print your official card. If you don’t have a MyMedicare.gov account yet, visit MyMedicare.gov to create one.
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048. There may be something that needs to be corrected, like your mailing address.
Who sends it?
What should I do when I get this card?
- Destroy your old Medicare card and start using your new card right away. Your Medicare coverage and benefits stay the same.
- Keep using your Medicare Advantage Plan ID card if you’re in a Medicare Advantage Plan, like an HMO or PPO.
- Carry your new Medicare card with you. Doctors, other health care providers, and facilities know it’s coming and will ask you for it.
Download a sample
Publication, product, or other number
Not available at this time
New Medicare card