covers doctor services for certain organ transplants.
covers these organ transplants under certain conditions at Medicare-certified facilities:
Part A also covers some stem cell transplants under certain conditions. Part B covers cornea transplants, under some conditions. Stem cell and cornea transplants aren't limited to Medicare-approved transplant centers.
Organ transplant coverage includes:
- 20% of the
Medicare-approved amountfor your doctor's services, and the Part B Deductible [glossary]applies.
- Various amounts for transplant facility charges.
- Nothing for a living donor for a kidney transplant.
- Nothing for Medicare-certified laboratory tests.
To find out how much your test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:
- Other insurance you may have
- How much your doctor charges
- Whether your doctor accepts assignment
- The type of facility
- Where you get your test, item, or service
Transplants must be performed in Medicare-approved facilities. Stem cell and cornea transplants aren’t limited to Medicare-approved transplant centers.
If you have a problem with the care that you’re getting for your transplant or with getting a referral for a transplant work-up, you have the right to file a complaint (grievance).