Religious non-medical health care institution items & services
Medicare may cover items and services in religious nonmedical health care institutions (RNHCIs) only if you qualify for hospital or skilled nursing facility care. Medicare will also only cover the inpatient non-religious, non-medical items and services, like room and board and any items or services that don’t require a doctor’s order or prescription, including unmedicated wound dressings or use of a simple walker.
Medicare doesn’t cover the religious portion of religious nonmedical health care institution (RNHCI) care. However,
covers inpatient non-religious, non-medical care when these conditions are met:
- The RNHCI is currently certified to participate in Medicare.
- The RNHCI Utilization Review Committee agrees that you would require hospital or SNF care if you weren’t in the RNHCI.
- You have a written election on file with Medicare indicating that your need for RNHCI care is based on both your eligibility and religious beliefs. The election must also indicate that if you decide to accept standard medical care, you’ll revoke the election and will have to wait 1 year after the first revocation and 5 years after subsequent revocations to be eligible for a new election to get RNHCI services.
You're always able to get
Part A services.
Deductible [glossary]for each Benefit period.
- Days 1–60: $0
Coinsurancefor each benefit period.
- Days 61–90: $341 coinsurance per day of each benefit period.
- Days 91 and beyond: $682 coinsurance per each "lifetime reserve day" after day 90 for each benefit period (up to 60 days over your lifetime).
Lifetime reserve days: all costs.
You pay for private-duty nursing, a television, or a phone in your room. You pay for a private room unless it's medically necessary.
RNHCI services are only available for you if your religious beliefs prohibit your use of conventional and unconventional medical care.
Some Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C) offer extra benefits that Original Medicare doesn’t cover - like vision, hearing, or dental. Contact the plan for more information.