Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Pulmonary rehabilitation program
How often is it covered?
Medicare covers a comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation program if you have moderate to very severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). These services are intended to help you breathe better, make you stronger, and be able to live more independently. These services may be provided in a doctor's office or a hospital outpatient setting that offers pulmonary rehabilitation programs.
Your costs in Original Medicare
- If you get the service in a doctor's office, you pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount.
- If you get the service in a hospital outpatient setting, you pay a copayment per session.
- The Part B deductible applies.
To find out how much your specific test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or other health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:
- Other insurance you may have
- How much your doctor charges
- Whether your doctor accepts assignment
- The type of facility
- The location where you get your test, item, or service
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs. It’s important to ask questions so you understand why your doctor is recommending certain services and whether Medicare will pay for them.