Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Diabetes supplies & services
How often is it covered?
Supplies: Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers some diabetes supplies, including:
- Blood sugar (glucose) test strips
- Blood sugar testing monitors
- Lancet devices and lancets
- Glucose control solutions
- Therapeutic shoes or inserts
You may need to use specific suppliers for some types of diabetes testing supplies. Learn more about Medicare's National Mail-Order Program for diabetes testing supplies.
Services: Part B covers some diabetes services, including:
- Diabetes self-management training
- Yearly eye exam
- Foot exam
- Glaucoma tests
- Nutrition therapy services (medical)
Your costs in Original Medicare
To find out how much your specific test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or other health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:
- Other insurance you may have
- How much your doctor charges
- Whether your doctor accepts assignment
- The type of facility
- The location where you get your test, item, or service
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs. It’s important to ask questions so you understand why your doctor is recommending certain services and whether Medicare will pay for them.