Diabetes prevention program
covers a diabetes prevention program once if all of these conditions apply to you:
- You have a hemoglobin A1c test result between 5.7 and 6.4%, a fasting plasma glucose of 110-125mg/dL, or a 2-hour plasma glucose of 140-199 mg/dL (oral glucose tolerant test) within 12 months before attending the first core session.
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or more (BMI of 23 or more if you’re Asian).
- You've never been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes or
End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).
- You've never participated in the Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program.
You pay nothing for these services.
Medicare’s Diabetes Prevention Program is a proven health behavior change program to help you prevent type 2 diabetes.
The program begins with 16 core sessions offered in a group setting over a 6-month period. In these sessions, you’ll get:
- Training to make realistic, lasting behavior changes
- Tips on how to get more exercise
- Strategies for controlling your weight
- A behavior coach, specially trained to help keep you motivated
- Support from people with similar goals
Once you complete the core sessions, you’ll get:
- 6 more months of less intensive monthly follow-up sessions to help you maintain healthy habits
- An additional 12 months of ongoing maintenance sessions if you meet certain weight loss and attendance goals
Find a Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program supplier in your area.