Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) tests
covers a test to see if you have coronavirus (officially called coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19).
You pay nothing for this test when you get it from a laboratory, pharmacy, doctor, or hospital, and when Medicare covers this test in your local area.
Tests done to help your health care provider diagnose or rule out COVID-19. In some circumstances, a home health nurse, laboratory technician, or an appropriately-trained medical assistant may collect your specimen in your home for this test.
Medicare Advantage Plans can’t charge copayments, deductibles, or coinsurance for clinical lab tests to detect or diagnose COVID-19.
- When tests are available for you in your state, Medicare covers and you pay nothing for:
- Tests to diagnose or aid the diagnosis of COVID-19
- Some tests for related respiratory conditions to aid diagnosis of COVID-19 done together with the COVID-19 test
- Medicare covers these tests at different locations, including some “parking lot” test sites.
- Medicare also covers COVID-19 antibody tests.