Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage

You may get a written notice called an "Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage" (ABN) from your doctor, other 

health care provider

, or supplier if you have 

Original Medicare

 and your doctor, provider, or supplier thinks Medicare probably (or certainly) won't pay for the items or services you got. 

However, an ABN isn't required for items or services that Medicare never covers.

The ABN lists the items or services that Medicare isn't expected to pay for, along with an estimate of the costs for the items and services and the reasons why Medicare may not pay.


You’ll be asked to choose an option box and sign the notice to say that you read and understood it. You must choose one of these options:

  • Option 1: You want the items or services that may not be paid for by Medicare. Your provider or supplier may ask you to pay for them now, but you also want them to submit a claim to Medicare for the items or services. If Medicare denies payment, you’re responsible for paying, but, since a claim was submitted, you can appeal to Medicare. If Medicare does pay, the provider or supplier will refund any payments you made (minus the copayments and deductibles you paid).
  • Option 2: You want the items or services that may not be paid for by Medicare, but you don’t want your provider or supplier to bill Medicare. You may be asked to pay for the items or services now, but because you ask your provider or supplier to not submit a claim to Medicare, you can’t file an appeal.
  • Option 3: You don’t want the items or services that may not be paid for by Medicare, and you aren’t responsible for any payments. A claim isn’t submitted to Medicare, and you can’t file an appeal.

An ABN isn't an official denial of coverage by Medicare. You have the right to file an appeal if Medicare denies payment when a claim is submitted.

What are the other types of ABNs?

Other types of ABNs include:

  • "Skilled Nursing Facility Advance Beneficiary Notice" (SNFABN): A skilled nursing facility (SNF) will issue you a SNFABN if there's a reason to believe that Part A may not cover or continue to cover your care or stay because it isn't reasonable or necessary, or is considered custodial care [glossary] . The SNFABN lets you know that Medicare will likely no longer pay for your services. If you choose to get the services that Medicare may not cover, you don't have to pay for these services until a claim is submitted and Medicare officially denies payment. However, while the claim is processed, you have to continue paying costs that you would normally have to pay, like the daily coinsurance and costs for services and supplies Medicare generally doesn't cover.
  • "Hospital Issued Notice of Noncoverage" (HINN): Hospitals use a HINN when Medicare may not cover all or part of your Part A inpatient hospital care. This notice will tell you why the hospital thinks Medicare won't pay, and what you may have to pay if you keep getting these services.


You may get an Advance Beneficiary Notice of  Noncoverage if you're getting an off-the-shelf back or knee brace that's included in the Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) Competitive Bidding Program from a supplier that isn't a competitive bidding contract supplier.


Find out who to call about Medicare options, claims and more.