Filing a complaint about your quality of care

Like being given the wrong drug or being given drugs that interact in a negative way.

Like being operated on for a condition that could’ve been effectively treated with drugs or 


Like being given the wrong treatment or treatment you didn’t need.

Like not getting treatment after abnormal test results or when you developed a complication.

Like being sent home when you’re still in severe pain.

Like being sent home from the hospital without instructions for the changes that were made in your daily medicine.

Use the Medicare Complaint Form or follow the instructions in your plan membership materials to submit a complaint about your Medicare health or prescription drug plan.

For example, you think the customer service hours for your plan should be different.    

For example, you don’t think there are enough specialists in the plan to meet your needs.

You may have a complaint about improper care (like claims of abuse to a nursing home resident) or unsafe conditions (like water damage or fire safety concerns). To file a complaint about improper care or unsafe conditions in a hospital, home health agency, hospice, or nursing home, contact your State Survey Agency. The State Survey Agency is usually part of your State’s department of health services.

If you have a complaint about the quality of care you’re getting from a home health agency, call the home health agency and ask to speak to the administrator. If you don’t believe your complaint has been resolved, call your state home health hotline. Your home health agency should give you this number when you start getting home health services.