Skip Navigation

Filing a complaint about durable medical equipment (DME)

To file a complaint about DME, you can:

  • Contact your supplier.
    • Within 5 calendar days, your supplier must let you know they got your complaint and are investigating it.
    • Within 14 calendar days, your supplier must send you the result of your complaint and their response in writing.
  • Call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). Ask to send your complaint to the Competitive Acquisition Ombudsman (CAO). The CAO responds to individual and supplier inquiries, issues, and complaints, and helps make sure that your complaint is resolved.

Need help filing a complaint?

Contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for free, personalized help.


For questions about a specific service you got, look at your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) or log into You can file an appeal if you disagree with a coverage or payment decision made by one of these:

  • Medicare
  • Your Medicare health plan
  • Your Medicare Prescription Drug Plan