May 23, 2019

Unhappy with your care? Let us know.

When you're unhappy with the quality of your health care, you might want to talk with whoever gave you the care. If you don’t want to talk to that person or need more help, you can file a complaint. Filing a complaint is your right, so if you think you’re not getting high-quality care, we want to know.

How you file a complaint depends on whether your complaint is about: 

If you’re enrolled in a Medicare health or drug plan, each plan has its own rules for filing complaints. If you still need help after you file a complaint with your plan, call 1-800-MEDICARE.

If you’ve contacted 1-800-MEDICARE about a Medicare complaint and still need help, ask the person you talk with when you call 1-800-MEDICARE to send your complaint to the Medicare Beneficiary OmbudsmanThe Ombudsman staff helps make sure your complaint is resolved.

You can also let us know if you disagree with a coverage or payment decision made by Medicare, your Medicare health plan, or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan by filing an appeal.

For other kinds of Medicare-related complaints, you can call your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for free, personalized help.