- Through the end of July, 1.28 million Americans with Medicare have received discounts on brand name drugs in the Medicare Part D coverage gap — up from 899,000 through the end of June and 478,000 through the end of May.
- These discounts have saved seniors and people with disabilities a total of$660 million, including $199 million in July alone!
- Through the end of August, over 18.9 million people with Original Medicare, or 55.6 percent, have received one or more free preventive services.
- During the same time period, over 1.2 million Americans with Original Medicare have taken advantage of Medicare’s new free Annual Wellness Visit, up from 1.06 million in July.
For state-by-state information on the numbers of people who are utilizing preventive services in 2011, visit this page.
Over the coming years, provisions of the Affordable Care Act will help close the coverage gap completely. Here is a sense of what people with Medicare can look forward to:
- 2013: Paying less and less for your brand-name Part D prescription drugs in the coverage gap.
- 2020: The coverage gap will be closed, meaning there will be no more “donut hole,” and people with Medicare will pay only 25% of the costs of their drugs until they reach the yearly out-of-pocket spending limit.
Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage Over Time