Not all Medicare Advantage Plans work the same way, so before you join, take the time to find and compare Medicare health plans in your area. Once you understand the plan's rules and costs, here's how to join:
- Use Medicare's Plan Finder.
- Visit the plan's website to see if you can join online.
- Fill out a paper enrollment form. Contact the plan to get an enrollment form, fill it out, and return it to the plan. All plans must offer this option.
- Call the plan you want to join.
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
When you join a Medicare Advantage Plan, you'll have to give your Medicare number and the date your Part A and/or Part B coverage started. This information is on your Medicare card.
Don't give personal information to plan callers
Medicare plans aren't allowed to call you to enroll you in a plan. Also, plans should never ask you for financial information, including credit card or bank account numbers, over the phone.
No one should call you or come to your home uninvited to sell Medicare products. Don't give your personal information to anyone who calls you to enroll in a plan. Call 1-800-MEDICARE to report a plan that does this. Learn more about how to prevent Medicare fraud and abuse.