For help navigating the site, see the demo video - Opens in a New Window.
These tips may help you search on Physician Compare:
Step 1: Choose a search type (required)
- To find individuals, select the “Find Physicians and Other Healthcare Professionals” tab.
- To find groups, select the “Find Group Practices” tab.
- Or, select the “Search Another Way” tab for a different way to search.
Step 2: Enter Location (required)
Enter a ZIP Code; City and State; exact address; or landmark in the “Location” field.
Step 3: Enter a search term (required)
Use the main search box (What are you searching for?) to enter a
- Last name of a physician or other healthcare professional,
- Body part,
- Organ system (such as the circulatory system or digestive system), or
- Medical condition.
To search group practices, use the same types of search terms or enter the name of a group practice.
Select “Search” to go to the results page.
The results page shows Physicians, Other Healthcare Professionals, or Group Practices that match your search terms.
Optional Step: Use the Advanced Search Option
By selecting “Advanced Search” on the homepage, you can further refine your search.
You can use the Advanced Search options in addition to the Location and “What are you searching for?” boxes.
You can refine your search for individual Physicians or Other Healthcare Professionals by:
- Medicare Assignment
- Hospital Affiliation, and
- Language (in addition to English).
Or, you can refine your search for Group Practices by:
Once you have chosen your additional search options, select “Search” to go to the results page.
If you’re not sure where to start, you can use an alternate search option called Search Another Way.
First, select the tab that is best for you: male, female, or child.
Step 1: Select a body part
Select the body part that you’d like a doctor to examine.
Step 2: Select one
From the list, select the one item that most applies to you.
Step 3: Select a specialty
Select the specialty you’d like to search.
Finish your search by entering a location and selecting “Search.”
NOTE: This is an alternate search option to help you if you don’t know where to start. If your problem affects several parts of the body or the whole body, use the “Find Physicians or Other Healthcare Professionals” search tab.
The Results page lists individuals or groups that match your search terms.
On this page, you’ll find
All results are listed by distance from your search location.
Also on this page, you can find “Map & Directions.”
You can add the search results to your favorites if you have a MyMedicare.gov account. If you’re logged in, you’ll be directed to the MyMedicare section. If not, you’ll be directed to the login page.
You can see results on the list view or on a map view. To see the map view, select the “Go to Map View” icon at the upper right of the page.
Modify Your Results
You can modify your search results using the panel on the right of the page in both the list and map views.
When searching Physicians and Other Healthcare Professionals, you can modify:
- Last Name,
- Medicare Assignment,
- Language (other than English),
- Gender, and
- Hospital Affiliation.
When searching Group Practices, you can modify:
Select the "Update Results" button to get your modified results.
On the Results page, select the name of the individual or group. You’ll see a profile page with more information.
The profile page may show:
- Primary and secondary specialties,
- Medicare Assignment status,
- Whether the individual or group participates in certain Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) quality programs,
- Education and residency information,
- Groups that individuals work with (individual profile) or individuals who work with the group (group profile), and
- Hospital affiliation.
You can find addresses and phone numbers under the “Locations” tab.
On the group profile page, look under the “Affiliated Healthcare Professionals” tab. There, you’ll find the names and specialties of all physicians and other healthcare professionals in the group.
Comparing Group Practices
On the Group Practice Results Page, you can compare group practices.
Using the check boxes to the left of the group names, select up to three groups. Then click “Compare Now.”
The compare page will show you each group’s:
- Address and phone number,
- Distance from your search area,
- Medicare Assignment status, and
- The number of physicians and other healthcare professionals who work for the group and a link to their names and specialties.
NOTE: If a group has more than three specialties, specialties will be listed as “Multiple.” You can select the word “Multiple” to see a list of all individuals in the group and their specialties.