What to expect during your "Welcome to Medicare" preventive visit
Your doctor will
- Record and evaluate your medical and family history, current health conditions, and prescriptions.
- Check your blood pressure, vision, weight, and height to get a baseline for your care.
- Make sure you're up-to-date with preventive screenings and services, such as cancer screenings and shots.
- Order further tests, depending on your general health and medical history.
Following the visit, your doctor will give you a plan or checklist with free screenings and preventive services that you need.
What to bring to your "Welcome to Medicare" preventive visit
- Medical records, including immunization records. Even if your current doctor does the visit, gather as much medical information as you can to make sure nothing is overlooked.
- Family health history. Try to learn as much as you can about your family's health history before your appointment. The information will help you and your doctor better understand what screenings you should get and what to watch for in the future.
- Prescription drugs. Bring a list of any prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and supplements that you currently take, how often you take them, and why.