Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers doctor services for certain organ transplants.
Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) covers these transplants under certain conditions at Medicare-approved facilities:
Part A also covers some stem cell transplants under certain conditions. Part B covers cornea and, under some conditions, stem cell transplants. Stem cell and cornea transplants aren't limited to approved facilities.
Transplant coverage includes:
- Necessary tests, labs, and exams before surgery
- Immunosuppressive drugs (under certain conditions)
- Follow-up care
- Procurement of organs and tissues
All people with Medicare are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay various amounts for transplant facility charges. You pay nothing for a living donor for a kidney transplant.
You pay nothing for Medicare-approved laboratory tests.
- Find dialysis facilities
- Nutrition therapy services
- Kidney disease education
- Dialysis information
- Signing up for Medicare if you have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Transplant information
- National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC)
- National Kidney Foundation
- National Kidney Disease Education Program