Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Second surgical opinions
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers a second opinion in some cases for surgery that isn’t an emergency. Medicare also will help pay for a third opinion if the first and second opinions are different.
All people with Medicare are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount. The Part B deductible applies. If the second opinion doesn't agree with the first opinion, you pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for a third opinion.
- Get more information on second opinions
- Surgery (estimating costs)
- Find doctors & other health professionals
- Find hospitals
- Find dialysis facilities
- Find nursing homes
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Cosmetic surgery
- Inpatient hospital care
- Hospital care (outpatient)
- Long-term care hospitals
- Outpatient hospital services
- Surgical dressing services