Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Prostate cancer screenings
How often is it covered?
- Digital rectal exam: Once every 12 months
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test: Once every 12 months
All men over 50 (beginning the day after your 50th birthday) with Medicare are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
- Digital rectal exam: You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the digital rectal exam and for the doctor's services related to the exam. The Part B deductible applies. In a hospital outpatient setting, you pay a copayment.
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Test: You pay nothing for PSA blood test.
- Medicare & You: Prostate Cancer Awareness Month (video)
- CDC: prostate cancer information
- National Cancer Institute: prostate cancer information
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force: screening for prostate cancer recommendations
- American Cancer Society:prostate cancer information
- Medicare & You: national colorectal cancer awareness (video)