Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Prostate cancer screenings
How often is it covered?
- Digital rectal exam: Once every 12 months
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test: Once every 12 months
All men over 50 (beginning the day after your 50th birthday) with Medicare are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
- Digital rectal exam: You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the digital rectal exam and for the doctor's services related to the exam. The Part B deductible applies. In a hospital outpatient setting , you pay a copayment .
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Test: You pay nothing for PSA blood test.
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs.
- Medicare & You: Prostate Cancer Awareness Month (video)
- CDC: prostate cancer information
- National Cancer Institute: prostate cancer information
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force: screening for prostate cancer recommendations
- American Cancer Society:prostate cancer information
- Medicare & You: national colorectal cancer awareness (video)