Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers screenings to check for diabetes. Based on the results of these tests, you may be eligible for 2 diabetes screenings each year.
Medicare covers these tests if you have any of these risk factors:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- History of abnormal cholesterol and triglyceride levels (dyslipidemia)
- History of high blood sugar (glucose)
Medicare also covers these tests if 2 or more of these apply to you:
- Age 65 or older
- Family history of diabetes (parents, brothers, sisters)
- History of gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy), or delivery of a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
Your costs in Original Medicare
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs.