Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Cardiovascular disease screenings
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers screening blood tests for cholesterol, lipid, and triglyceride levels every 5 years. These screening tests help detect conditions that may lead to a heart attack or stroke.
All people with Medicare Part B are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay nothing for the tests, and the Part B deductible doesn't apply.
You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the doctor's visit.
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs.
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs
- Million Hearts
- CDC's National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- AHRQ's Staying Healthy Resources
- American Heart Association - Information About Cholesterol
- Medicare & You: High Blood Pressure and Osteoporosis (video)