Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Cardiovascular disease screenings
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers screening blood tests for cholesterol, lipid, and triglyceride levels every 5 years. These screening tests help detect conditions that may lead to a heart attack or stroke.
All people with Medicare Part B are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay nothing for the tests, and the Part B deductible doesn't apply.
You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for the doctor's visit.
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs
- Million Hearts
- CDC's National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- AHRQ's Staying Healthy Resources
- American Heart Association - Information About Cholesterol
- Medicare & You: High Blood Pressure and Osteoporosis (video)