Your Medicare Coverage
Is my test, item, or service covered?
Cardiovascular disease screenings
How often is it covered?
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers screening blood tests for cholesterol, lipid, and triglyceride levels every 5 years. These screening tests help detect conditions that may lead to a heart attack or stroke.
All people with Medicare Part B are covered.
Your costs in Original Medicare
You pay nothing for the tests.
Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs. It’s important to ask questions so you understand why your doctor is recommending certain services and whether Medicare will pay for them.
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs
- Million Hearts
- CDC's National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- AHRQ's Staying Healthy Resources
- American Heart Association - Information About Cholesterol Globe icon
- Medicare & You: High Blood Pressure and Osteoporosis (video)